The world has become a global village; this means that more and more people travel from one part of the world to another for various reasons. Some people travel for work, some to attend important family matters and some for vacations. No matter what the reason is, majority of the people need a place to stay. This includes hotels, motels and inns. Now it’s a basic human instinct that he or she would prefer to go to that place which is welcoming and in case of hotels this feeling of warmth is determined by the reception area and how the hotel staff treats you.
Requirements Of Management Jobs
As there are many opportunities in this industry, the requirements for the job of a manager may vary from post to post and also from area to area. For example, a manager in a small hotel might only require a diploma in the hotel management whereas if you are looking for a job in a good casino or a renowned hotel chain, then you should have at least a bachelor’s degree in that respected field along with work experience. These days, there is an opportunity in contract catering jobs, as majority of the hotel owners have come to realize that catering is an important aspect when it comes to the promotion of the hotel.
Due to this the industry of hospitality management and hotel management has expanded and there are many opportunities in this field of business. There are various kinds of hotel jobs. The responsibility also varies from post to post in hospitality management. The greater the responsibility, the greater will be the stress and workload. A good and successful lodging manager needs to know almost everything about the management of hotel. To some extent the responsibilities of a hotel manager and hospitality manager are similar as both have the job to maintain the standards of the business and improve them whenever possible.
Responsibilities of Hospitality Manager
Basically a hotel manager or a hospitality manager is responsible to manage the hotel for its day to day businesses. In case of a huge hotel, a hospitality manager might employ assistant managers to help him in his work. In this case, the hotel manager will take the report from other assistant managers and will help them out in their problems. In short, the manager would have to guide and instruct his or her assistant managers to perform their duties and improve the hotel’s image in any way they can.
Apart from this, in some cases the responsibility and importance of a hotel manager is to such an extreme that the profits of the hotel are entirely dependent on their skills and management. Besides this some of the other responsibilities of hotel managers are listed below.
- Managing and taking care of hotel services like reception, customer care and accommodation.
- Helping the finance department in preparing the annual or monthly budget. In some cases, the hotel manager plays a direct role in finance management of the hotel.
- Drafting out the schedules of his or her team.
- Monitoring the hotel staff especially the department of accommodation, catering and customer care to make sure the rules of the hotel are being followed.
- Resolving the problems of his or her subordinates.
- Attending to the complaints and problems of customers and guests.
- Maintaining and developing business relations with travel agencies, food suppliers, etc.
People come from various walks of life to hotels and it is the responsibility of a hospitality manager to ensure that all their needs are being met.
Types of Managers
As mentioned before, a hospitality manager can have many subordinates which can help him or her in sharing the work load. Some of these, along with their responsibilities, are mentioned below:
- Office manager: has to look after the department of reservations and reception. Furthermore, it is the responsibility of the office manager to hire and promote the staff in this department.
- Convention service managers: has to manage and operate special events like weddings, meetings of clients and conventions etc
- Information Technology manager: has the responsibility of management of all the electronic systems such as computers, internet etc. Apart from this, he also has to supervise the promotion of the hotel on the internet and maintain the website.
- Food and beverage manger: has to ensure that the food and drinks department of the hotel is unrivaled.
No matter what you aim for, there is always a prospect for progress in hotel management business. You should constantly update yourself with new diplomas. In this way you can get promotions and even better jobs. However you should keep this thing in mind that everyone in the market is aiming for the big bucks. So, you should prove yourself worthy to your superiors, if you want a promotion.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7147426